The property is in the heart of Bloomsbury in the conservation area and is a Grade II listed building, forming part of a row of early Georgian Terraced Houses. The ground and lower ground floors are commercial gallery space, whilst the first, second and third floors are for residential use and form a three storey single dwelling. The original house was built in 1711.
The project involved the re-modelling of the gallery spaces and the re-configuration of the rear courtyard in order to provide a gallery roof terrace for external displays and events.
The residential floors needed careful restoration in order to retain the original features of the house, and specialised conservation techniques were adopted throughout the build. This included the restoration of original panelling and also of the original main staircase, including the ‘barley twist’ balusters and handrail.
The works also included the addition of an external metal ‘link’ walkway to the residential accommodation to enable access to the first floor roof garden. The renovation of the rear external walls to the upper levels, including general repairs to the existing fabric were also carried out.