New house with façade retention, Kensington, W8
Originally built as purpose built artist studios in 1897 and located in the Edward Square/Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea [RBKC] the scheme comprised the demolition of the existing property apart from the front façade.
The property is organised around a bespoke steel staircase that is visible behind a double height critical wall and leads up to the master bedroom, dressing room and ensuite bathroom. The ground floor includes a double height living room and a kitchen/diner that both open onto a courtyard garden.
A new basement provides two further bedrooms, that open onto a lightwell, with a family bathroom, WC, utility room and along with a cinema/party room.
BB Partnership worked in conjunction with interior designer Turner Pocock – turnerpocock.co.uk
Gross internal area was increased from 1,425 to 2,450 sq.ft. as a result of the additional basement and an increase to the size of the ground floor compared to the original house.
Client: Gallagher London – www.gallagher-london.com
Project value: Undisclosed