- Newhouse Farm is a Grade II listed, late medieval farmhouse located in Standford Rivers, Essex. Although parts of the house have been replaced over the centuries, many of the original features remain, such as the charred weatherboard cladding and exposed vertical studs.
- BB Partnership were appointed to submit an initial pre-planning application for discussion with the conservation officer, based on a single-story side extension to the main house, including revisions to the layout of the existing ground floor. This eventually resulted in planning approval to refurbish an existing outbuilding, and construct a new timber frame single story extension with a largely glazed elevation, exposing the interior to the expansive garden beyond.
- A significant design feature was the frameless glazed connection between new and old; the design of which was instrumental to the project achieving planning permission and allaying the conservation officer’s concerns about the development potentially diminishing one’s perception of the original plan form and massing.
- The development resulted in approximately 45m² additional floor area.
- Client: Private
- Project value: Undisclosed